Saturday 2 February 2013

Improving Creativity

Since I was a child, I've always been very creative. I'd always be writing or drawing or colouring or accidentally sticking my hand to something in a failed attempt at using glue.

But now that I'm only mere days away from being a legal adult, I've realised that I'm definitely not as creative as other people. I can almost hear it now - "You shouldn't compare yourself to others, Ash!" - I know that already, but I still want to improve my creativity levels.

I fully admit that I cannot draw. At all. Ask any of my friends about the unicorn drawing incident of September 2012 and through tears of laughter they will freely tell you that I, for want of a better word, suck at drawing.

It's okay, I understand and completely accept the fact that I can and never will be able to draw well. Heck, I can't even draw with tracing paper, let alone freehand.

At the end of December 2012, I was wondering to myself what my New Year's Resolution could be. I never thought of improving my creativity, but I must have done so subconsciously because I ordered a Wreck This Journal from Amazon. I was a little skeptical at first because although I have hipster moments, I didn't much fancy becoming a stereotypical one. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying everyone with a WTJ is a hipster, just that the majority are.)

When it arrived about two weeks later, I flicked through its pages and realised that I was nowhere near creative enough to do one of the pages, never mind all of them.

And then today, February 2nd 2013, I picked that journal up and got a load of the pages done from about 10:30 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon. Half of them are unfinished, but I'll be posting updates on them as we go.

This blog will also be updates on the rest of the creative side of my life - my trying to get some writing done and some books published. Maybe ten years from now, I'll look back on this blog as a friendly reminder of my almost-legal-adult self and smile because she has no idea how awesome her life will have turned out.

Let's hope that happens, eh?

-Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment